Sunday, August 16, 2009

Cinnamon Raisin Bread mix

I found this at my local health food store a few weeks ago. I decided to pick it up because we were heading up to a cabin with my Sister-in-law and her family. She has EE and is trying to stay away from the 8 major food allergens plus rice and corn. That is a whole lot of foods to stay away from!! This bread mix only had a small amount of corn starch in it so she decided to brave it. The only thing you have to add to this mix is oil,2 eggs (you can use egg replacer) and water.

The texture was nice! It baked up really nicely. The taste was good. Though she and I both agreed we would have liked more cinnamon and sugar in the mix because we like sweet breads. That or a bit of margarine with some cinnamon sugar on top. This bread isn't sweet but it is good non-the-less. Be aware that it is made with bean flours so don't go eating half a loaf all at once. ;) If you just can't stop yourself, then be sure to have Beano on hand before you start. My Sister-in-law is new to the elimination diet and is still having a hard time getting use to gluten free textures. So when I say she liked this bread, you know that it is pretty good. It has been a while since I have had regular cinnamon raisin bread but I would have to say that this came really close.

In many ways this mix has made me think about going back to a bean flour mix for some of the recipes I normally make. I wonder if I can bake the Beano right in. LOL (I hope you know I am kidding about adding Beano to the recipe itself).

My little gluten free blog has been neglected lately and I realize that a lot of what I have posted about are products you can buy rather than actual recipes. Mostly that is because I haven't made many of my own creations. I generally use recipes from other sources.

No comments: