Thursday, August 13, 2009

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie mix


I have finally tracked it down. Betty Crocker's new Gluten Free Brownie mix. What I really wanted to know is what was in it. I wanted to know if it was dairy free as well as gluten free.
Here is the ingredient list: Sugar, Semi-sweet chocolate chips (sugar, chocoalte liquor, cocoa butter,soy lecithin, vanilla), cocoa processed with alkali, rice flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, salt. Contains Soy Ingredients.
My son has been asking me to make them since we put them into the shopping basket in the store. All that you add to this mix is margarine (butter if you can have it) and 2 eggs.
Upon getting home my son asked me to make then right away. He LOVES brownies. xoxoxoxox The mix is pretty straight forwar and you can make then in anything from an 8x8 to an 11x7 inch pan. Obviously the bigger then pan the thinner the brownies will be. I choose to put them in an 11x7 inch pan. You know to stretch them out a bit farther. The mix has mini chocolate chips in it so you have that extra bit of chocolaty goodness when you take a bite. Honestly I have had many good gluten free brownies. In some ways brownies are a bit more forgiving that some other baked goods are. I have to say that my son and I really liked these brownies. They hit our chocolate cravings right on the money! What I like about them is that this is a name brand and is fairly easy to get a hold of at a regular supermarket. The price was also resonable as well. I have purchased some gluten free mixes were more expensive and not neccessarily above an beyond in flavor. If you haven't tried it you should.
We also purchased the devil's food cake mix. I will be sure to let you know how that one is. Although you may have to wait a week or two. I am not one to have desserts around all the time. Plus with the boys going off to school next week, I will be left all alone with chocolate and that is never a good thing. Well, yes it is a good thing for my taste buds but not for my hips. ;)
They also make a yellow cake mix and chocolate chip cookie mix. One by one I will be trying all of them. I have not yet seen the yellow cake mix.

2 comments:

Anjeanette said...

I've been wondering about this stuff. I don't like that it has soy though. sigh.

Kat said...

I know but I think that because it is chocolate that you can't really get away from soy. I have noticed that a lot about chocolate products.

They were pretty good. It seems that half the pan was gone in the first day.