Saturday, November 29, 2008

Gluten and Dairy Free Cheesecake



For Thanksgiving I made some cheesecake. It turned out so good. It is very easy to make. Thanks to the Gluten Free Gourmet for this one. Though she used real cream cheese in her recipe. This is my Dairy Free version of her Gluten Free recipe.


3 8oz packages of Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese (plain)
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla


I recently found a new product that is a substitute for graham crackers. On the box they have a recipe for a cheesecake crust.
The recipe went something like this: crush crackers in food processor add 6 tablespoons of melted margarine and something like a 1/4 cup sugar (not exact on the sugar and I no long have the box). This recipe yields a very wet product. It is more the consistency of thick paste and you have to refrigerate it for an hour before pouring in your cheesecake mixture. I was a little worried about how it would turn out since it was so saturated with margarine. However, it yielded a very nice crust that didn't burn like other variations I have tried in the past. It really does a great job at passing for the real thing.


Directions for the cheesecake:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare crust in a 10" spring form pan.

Soften the cream cheese and combine with eggs, sugar and vanilla. Use an electric mixer for this to get it nice and creamy. Once it is well blended, pour into prepared crust. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Here is a key point I never knew until recently. Don't keep baking it until the center no longer giggles, you will over cook it and burn the crust and the top will crack. What I found is that it will look like the center isn't cooked. Unlike a cake it is ok that when giggled the center will move like set Jell-o. It will set as it cools.

When cool, refrigerate several hours before serving. I make mine the day before. Top as you would like. This cake serves 12.

1 comment:

Kat said...

My husband and two boys LOVE this cake. At first my boys didn't want to try it. They are slow to try new things. I made the have a bite and they were hooked. My 4 year old asked for some after it was all gone. He told me that I needed to go back to the store to buy more. I explained that I couldn't buy more I had to make it. He then said "make more please." I told him I would make more for Christmas. I think I will have him help me next time.