Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentines Day Peanut Butter Cups


I opened one up just for you! MMMMMMmmmmmm......... I like them! They are a little different than traditional Reeses Peanut Butter cups in that they are essentially dark chocolate. I didnt' bother trying to sweeten up the chocolate chips. I only made 12 and the peanut butter filling could easily have made many more. Since I only have 12 heart cups I decided to stop there for now. Just happens that I didn't melt the whole bag of chocolate and had just enough for these. Since I like to consume anything chocolate I feel this is plenty for our little family.


I bought some silicone baking cups in the shape of hearts. You can find them in both the regular muffin size and the mini muffin size. Especially during February. Wait just a little longer and they will be on sale. I wanted to make something special for my guys. My husband and both of my children are unable to have dairy. My oldest son is unable to tolerate gluten of any kind. So buying chocolates off the shelf is out.

There are so many wonderful foods out there that he can't have and I don't want him to miss out. So I hunt up recipes and if I can't find exactly what I am looking for I will modify what I do find. In this case I only have to get the right kind of chocolate chips. This recipe called for milk chocolate but since "milk" is out of the question we will settle for dark chocolate peanut butter cups. My son has been on a gluten and dairy free diet most of his life and thankfully does not really remember a time when he ate what ever he wanted. He learned at an early age that some foods are out because we explained that it would hurt is tummy. That is how we explained it to our then 3 year old. He is now 7 and it does not so much cramp him up like it use to but he knows he can't have it anyway. These days he does not feel the cramping in his stomach that makes him cry and scream all night (what use to happen if he ate even a little bit of gluten or dairy). Now it just manifests itself as cranky, angry, uncooperative, hyper sensitive, and really makes his Autism more evident. People don't normally understand what I mean by this until they witness it for themselves. Any amount of dairy means 3 bad days. Any amount of gluten means up to a week or more of bad behaviors. You could say it makes life hard on him and us. Anyway, back to the recipe I promised you.

You will need:
Chocolate 1 bag of gluten dairy free chips (scroll down and see some I have found)
1 cup peanut butter, creamy or chunky
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar

I need to note that I got this off of foodnetwork.com

There are many recipes out there but I found this to be the simplest and most straight forward. Some of the others had ingredients that needed to be substituted.

To temper the chocolate:place in a bowl over barely simmering water to melt. Bring the chocolate up to 113 degrees F. Turn off the heat, removed the bowl from the simmering water and let cool. Stirring until it reaches 82 to 86 degrees f. It will begin to set a little around the edges at this point. Return the bowl to the hot )now turned off) water for a few seconds at a time. Until it reaches 88 to 91 degrees F. Do not let it go over 91 degrees or it will go out of temper.

Pour melted chocolate in a candy mold with individual fluted cups to coat the insides. Pour the excess chocolate back into the bowl and let set or chill to set.

Meanwhile, mix the peanut butter and confectioner's sugar. Using a small spoon or pastry bag with a large plain tip fill each chocolate cup with the peanut butter filling leaving room for a chocolate seal and chill slightly.

Using a paper cone or pastry bag filled with melted chocolate, fill in the surface of the cups to enclose the filling with chocolate. Let set, then turn out of the mold.

I wanted to get this recipe up. I will post pictures since I plan to make some today.


Here are some choices I have found for chocolate chips that are gluten and dairy free. If you have trouble finding them at a store near you, then you can find them at http://www.glutenfreegrocer.com/.

No comments: