Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pie Crust

Thanksgiving is coming around and pie is usually on the menu. You can make a pie crust that is gluten and dairy free. (this recipe makes enough for both the bottom and top crusts) If you would like a crumb topping I have added those instructions too.

1 Cup white rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water

For a crumb topping stir together 1/2 cup gluten free flour mix, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, cut in 3 tablespoons margarine until mixture looks like course crumbs.

In a bowl stir together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening. Mix wet ingredients. Pour slowly at little at a time into flour mixture. Keep adding until the pastry holds together and forms a ball.

Divide into two balls, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove and roll out one at a time between 2 sheets of plastic. lightly coat plastic with flour to prevent sticking. When transferring to pie tin remove top sheet of plastic. Keep bottom plastic wrap on while pressing crust into corners then remove remaining plastic wrap. Follow baking directions for the pie you wish to make.

Here is another thing you can do. You can make mini pies. You can do this by either by cutting out small circles to line muffin pan cups or simply press the crust into the muffin pan. This is great to do with kids because they can do it themselves. Place pie filling in each up top with either rolled pie crust, strips of crust or with a crumb topping. Fill the muffin cups with a variety of different fillings. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes, check to make sure they do not brown too much on the top (if using pie crust on top). If they are browning too fast cover lightly with foil and bake about another 3 minutes. I made these with my son when he was 3. He had lots of fun making them even if he decided he didn't want to eat them. Maybe some day he will try them. I think it is time we made them again this Thanksgiving. Who knows maybe my picky eater will finally try pie. I am on the look out for a dairy free whipped topping and I think I may have found one. I just need to get it and try it out. If it is any good I will be posting it here.

This recipe is thanks to in part to the Gluten Free Gourmet and to my son's summer camp for making mini pies and to my parents who always make a good apple pie with their fresh apples, which I am pretty sure is thanks to my late Grandma Hausser. She was a great cook. Right now I am thinking of her fry bread and can still remember standing on a chair watching them fry up. I can almost taste them with powdered sugar on top. Did I say I gain 5 pound just when I visit my parents? It seems that I gain it this time of year no matter what but when I gain it at their house it is all in one week, not over 2 1/2 months. Oh well, that is what January and February are for, working it off. ;)

No comments: